MBBS MSc FRACP FAANMS FSCMR
Special interest in advanced cardiac imaging and heart failure.
About Dr Suranga Weerasooriya
Dr Suranga Weerasooriya is a Consultant Cardiologist with special interest in advanced cardiac imaging and heart failure. He completed his Basic Physician Training in 2009- at the Royal Darwin Hospital (NT). He then completed the fellowships in Nuclear Medicine and Cardiology in Royal Hobart Hospital (Tas), Royal Adelaide Hospital (SA), Queen Elizabeth Hospital (SA) and in The Townsville University Hospital (QLD). He became a fellow in Royal Australian College of Physician in 2012.
He is also qualified as a specialist in CTCA where he received his training in St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney and holds CTCA level A accreditation since 2015. In addition, Dr Weerasooriya holds FSCMR following his fellowship in University College London and Barts Heart Centre, UK. He is a multimodal imager in advanced cardiac imaging including complex echocardiography, Stress echocardiography, transoesophageal echocardiography, cardiac CT, coronary CT angiography, cardiac MR, Nuclear cardiology and PET imaging.
Dr Weerasooriya holds MBBS, MSc, FRACP, FAANMS and has professional memberships with RACP, CSANZ, SCMR, AANMS and ANZSNM. Dr Weerasooriya is a Senior Lecturer in the College of Medicine and Dentistry at the James Cook University. He was the clinical lead in Heart failure at the Townsville University Hospital until recently.
- Nuclear medicine
- Heart failure
- Infective endocarditis
- Cardiac masses
- Ischaemia evaluation
- Non-invasive investigation of chronic stable angina- A practical overview for medical practitioners R. Jayasinghe, S Weerasooriya, N Kapadia, Med J of Malaysia Vol 67, No 2 April 2012.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis and Anti–Phospholipid Syndrome Resulting in Non–Bacterial Thrombotic Endocarditis: Challenges in Valvular Management Jan 2018 Heart lung and circulation
- Falsely raised gradients after TAVR obtained with a non-imaging probe due to brachiocephalic stenosis – Cardiovascular imaging case reports 2020
- Atrial Thrombus Mimicking Ewing’s Sarcoma Cardiovascular Imaging Case reports 2019
- Giant Left Main Aneurysm: A Rare Finding in a Patient with Chest Pain, Jan 2018, heart, Lung and Circulation 2018
- Incidental extra-cardiac findings on Cardiac MR in a Tertiary hospital CSANZ poster presentation 2017
- Fellow in Society of cardiac Magnetic Resonance (FSCMR)
- Fellow in Australasian college of Physicians (FRACP) Cardiology
- Fellow in Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
- Fellow in Australasian Association of Nuclear Medicine Specialists (FAANMS)