Dr Mehrdad Honarvar
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), FRACP
Special clinical interests in phlebology and vascular ultrasound, acute coronary syndrome, heart failure, valvular and congenital heart disease, cardiomyopathy and arrhythmia management
About Dr Mehrdad Honarvar
Dr Mehrdad Honarvar is an experienced cardiologist, with 15 years’ experience as a consultant cardiologist. Dr Mehrdad has completed more than 20,000 cardiac procedures, including complex coronary and peripheral vascular interventions. He is highly skilled in the management of various cardiologic disorders such as acute coronary syndromes, heart failure, valvular or congenital heart diseases, different types of cardiomyopathies and arrhythmia management, and fully proficient in all kinds of echo study, vascular ultrasound, diagnostic angiography, coronary and peripheral angioplasty and good experience in vascular and coronary CT Angiography.
Dr. Mehrdad completed his medical degree and specialist training in Cardiology in Iran in 2008. For the treatment of resistant hypertension, he was a pioneer in renal artery denervation in Iran during his interventional fellowship program. He then undertook further phlebology training becoming a pioneer of non-surgical varicose treatment and advanced and modern DVT management in Iran, establishing a large tertiary and referral centre in Shiraz.
In 2016 he led a team of doctors from Germany and Iran in performing the first iliac vein angioplasty (in a young patient with Chronic DVT and threatened leg amputation). He was appointed A/Prof of cardiology at Jahrom University.
In 2020 he migrated to Australia on a special visa, a “Talent visa”, as a permanent resident of Australia as an honorary invitation, completing an additional one-year cardiology interventional fellowship and peer review year at Bendigo hospital to become a member of the The Royal Australian College of Physicians (2023).
Dr Mehrdad is delighted to have joined Advara HeartCare as a locum for 6-months, where he will see patients at both the Hervey Bay and Maryborough clinics. He is pleased to see the full range of cardiology patients.
Dr Honarvar speaks English and Farsi.
- Top clinical researcher – department of Cardiology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, for contributions to research and education (2019).
- Outstanding Associate Professor – Department of Cardiology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (2018).
- Renal ablation for hypertension
- Dehbashi S, Honarvar M, Riaz Montazer S: Comparison of two methods of Pap smear. Int J Obs/Gyn 2002; 76/2,185-187. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11818119
- Dehbashi S, Honarvar M: Comparison of the effect of manual removal vs. spontaneous delivery of placenta on post-cesarean endometritis and bleeding.Int J Obs/Gyn 2004. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15207663
- Renal ablation for treatment of hypertension without Symplicity catheter: The first human experience. Honarvar M, Amirpour A, Pourmoghaddas M.ARYA Atheroscler. 2013 Jan;9(1):82-8 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23696764
- Selection as an official peer reviewer for the World Journal of Hypertension. Number ID: 05229145, Publication Name: World Journal of Hypertension, Acceptance Date: 2021-02-01.
- Kermani AM, Sanei H, Heshmat GK, Honarvar M, Ghahramani R, Sadeghi M. ARYA Atherosclerosis Journal, 2023 10.48305/arya.2023.11577.0